Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 18 - mini update!

Sunday October 3, 2010
Day 18 on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela
Carrion de los Condes to Calzadilla de la Cueza
Dear Blog Readers,

This blog is one day late.
Today is set to be a quick and wonderful day over the Meseta.  More flat prairie rolling hills is the order of the day.  After having a lovely breakfast at the Monastery, leave around 9 a.m.  Marcella is walking with us today as her friends have gone on to Leon by taxi.  However, wind is coming up and about 1 km. down the trail the wind really picks up and then the rain begins to pepper down on all of us pilgrims.
No chance to take too many photos with the rain and wind.
Walk steadily for 17 kms. in gale force winds and rain.  My hat has a hard time staying on - and my scarf floats straight off my neck. Trek pass rolling hills but cannot get out of the weather. A little lean-to comes into view and several pilgrims are hurdled together. Enjoy a peach and continue along the Camino with my head down and steps quickening.
Made it to Calzadilla de la Cueza soaked to the bones.  The small hostel is crowded with wet, miserable pilgrims. Damp backpacks are everywhere.  Surprise to learn I’ve walked the 17 kms. in 3 hours - way to go Yaz!
After a quick hot chocolate, take a taxi back to the Monastery for another night - Marcella shares our ride.  I cannot sent this update as the rain and wind continues, and everything comes to a standstill.  Make a quick visit the Museum again at the Monastery - after taking a photo of a beautiful rainbow outside my window.
Almost half way on the Camino.
Blessings from the Camino,
Yasmin
My personal thoughts for today - The heavens opened up with strong winds and for me the Camino showed another face from other days.  Makes me wonder what the way is like during Spring, Summer and Winter.  Learned that as this is a Holy Year, the Camino expects over 10 million pilgrims to make the pilgrimage this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment