Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Rest Day.

Dear Blog Readers,

September 28, 2010

Rest Day in Burgos - wow I´ve taken so many photos of the Cathedral I´ve stunned myself!

Anyway, want to take the time to write you a retrospective of the Camino to date -

Brief History - After Jesus died, the Apostel James went to spread the word, like St. Peter to Rome, St. Paul to Corinth, St. James tried Spain - travelling through France to enter Spain over the Pyrenees.  This is why the trail starts in France, from St. Jean Pied de Port, translates ´St. James on foot at the door´into Spain.

The Camino - For the most part the trail is well marked with yellow arrows pointing the way to Santiago or a blue tile with a shell - in some hamlets it is through the whole town, but in large cities, you can easily get lost so have to keep a sharp eye out on the sidewalks or up overhead on signs for the yellow arrow or shell symbol. The way is sometimes through wide fields, or narrow sheep tracks, washed out riverbeds, over dirt, stones, pebbles, hard sand, large rocks, and even cement and rock paths placed by well meaning city governments ( some of these are very hard to walk on for 8 - 10 kms at a time - legs and feet feel heavy and tired).

The French and Spaniard - Did not spend a long time in France, long enough to enjoy a croissant and tea and purchase my Camino walking stick (thank God I did, I´ve patted thanks to that stick many a days), so really don´t have a huge opinion of the French, those I met were friendly and wished me well.  The Spanish are for the most part welcoming. We, the pilgrim, have literally taken over their country and they have allowed us in.  The pilgrims are vital to the economy in many hamlets, villages and towns - not as much in the cities.

Culture - The little I was exposed to, showed the French culture as quaint, with  lovely little villages filled with flowers.  The Spanish culture is culture shock to most pilgrims.  Each day we leave before the sun is up, so not much is open.  Pilgrims must purchase water and food the night before to stock up on food for the first thing in the morning. If we are lucky, there is a hamlet, village or town up ahead with a smart bar owner open to let us in to purchase coffee, tea, hot chocolate and sweet cakes . they have croissants filled with melted chocolate - yum!
However, after walking for 5 - 7 hours and getting to the next town to spend the night, there is nothing open to save your life - it is of course siesta.  Doors are closed, windows shuttered, dogs put away and quietened.  Only the odd stray cat can be seen dashing from one abandoned building to the next.  So everything is closed until 5 p.m. lots of pilgrims take a nap as there is only ´tapas´on at the restaurants or bars, these a nibbles to peck at, nothing to fill the stomach.  Dinner is at 8 p.m. those pilgrims staying at Albergues (inexpensive hostels with up to 100 in a room) must get back before the doors close at the Albergue - sometimes by 9 or 10 p.m.  This set up of eating late makes for an uneasy night´s sleep, as the pilgrims are usually on the road by 7 a.m.

Accommodations - I made the decision to stay at small to medium hotels as I´d heard stories about the horrors in the Albergues - mainly loudly snoring pilgrims, or having to share a room and bathroom with 100 other people.  After the first day meeting a young German man who could not finish his beer due to his ´bed bug bites´and meeting a Montreal woman on the third day who counted 85 bed bug bites - I am now happy with my decision of spending the money to stay in hotels - the pilgrims do pay to stay in the Albergue - 5 - 10 Euros.

Walking the Camino - My wish to walk the Camino was not an easy one.  I wanted to do something for myself.  I know there were a few who did not think I, who had never done anything too challenging, could actually make this trek.  I´m born under Taurus, the bull, which means I´m ´bullish´and of course my nature is to be determined.  If I decide to do something I do it to the best of my ability - no matter what that is.  So as not to fail, I also added the challenge of raising money for Raise a Reader, a program I organize in the South Okanagan.  That first day, what got me going after I hurt myself, was the thought of disappointing all those who did believe in me and sponsored me - I want to say a huge thank you for having faith in my ability to accomplish such a task.  I wish to tell you this is not an easy trek I have undertaken, but it will make me stronger in body and mind.  I have never doubted I could finish what I started, now I continue to pray for good health, strong feet and legs and a steady mind to take me to Santiago.

The future - I have nothing, no treks for the future, once I finish this Camino.  This was my 60th birthday wish for myself - now I´ve been thinking when I turn 70 I will like to buy an open ticket on Via Rail, and travel across Canada, stopping in places I´ve like to visit - Who knows, maybe I´ll ask the grandchildren to go with me!

Thanks again to everyone for the super support - I´m hanging in and accomplishing more than I imagined.  Keep the wishes coming, they are appreciated.

And, thanks for the advice on my lost photos, here in Burgos I went into a camera shop and the kind man found all my ´lost´photos, they are now stored on a CD set to travel home with me.

Much Blessings from the Camino -
Yasmin

8 comments:

  1. Hi Yasmin - thanks for your dedication to an important cause.
    Raise a Reader is going strong this morning at Summerland's Tim Horton. Richa and Leadership kids are shaking down caffeine-deprived customers as they drive in. They are full of smiles and having fun despite being there since 6:30.
    Angela from Summerland Middle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandchildren??? You mean grandchild!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondered about the "grandchildren" comment and laughed at Ranette's reply! Keep on "trekking", you're surviving which many of us could not do!
    Love, Judy and Tony

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yasmin,
    Your determination is inspiring! Hope you're managing to find enjoyment in your treck- and will come back with wonderful stories. We're thinking of you.
    Love
    Donna & Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yasmin,
    Way to go! You must be getting very strong!
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you on your trek. Keep up the good work. We are so proud of you.
    Love Bill and Edna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be careful out there. Many angry people protesting with battles breaking out in the streets. We live in an insane World because the most insane and vile people are the ones in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi from Paris... Hope this downpour fizzles out before it reaches you!
    You are doing great, Hang in there my friend.
    Kisses on both cheeks (french style) R/
    P.S.- It looks like the R.A.R. day was a success!! What new wonderful ideas and programs will you have for next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yasmin! You're such an amazing lady...

    From the snails to the cathedrals, I imagine your journey like a painting. Perhaps I will have to paint it?

    Congratulations to my favorite pilgrim! You've done so well.

    (I just figured out how to 'follow' your blog - geeze!)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete