Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 3!

September 16, 2010
Day 3 on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela
Zubiri to Pamplona 
Begin the morning with usual breakfast, bread, butter and jam with tea, leaving by 8 a.m. with a slight drizzle in the darkened predawn.  Rain gear seems to be the order of the day.  Just when I think the hills and mountains are a thing of the past, the very first 5 mins. are straight uphill in the light rain.  Again, I am taking it slow. No snails on the path today, not like day one - but still I take it slow.
Trekking through forests and farmers’ fields today. Have to step on the roadway for some of the trek and the traffic feels like the Autobahn. Vehicles zoom by close, spraying water at the pilgrims.
Pass several little villages.  Stop at one cafe´ for a hot tea, just to get out of the rain, this is where the owner takes great fun in verbally abusing us all - `hurry up and order so I can throw you out of my cafe´ - he yells in Spanish, and I’m the only one understanding his words.  He is quite a character.  My Spanish is helping me some - I´ve been translating for some pilgrims - but this is mostly Castellian Spanish, not a form of Spanish I am comfortable with even though I understand.
Sit on the side of a home is a hamlet to have lunch, ham sandwich with coke.  Other pilgrims use the wooden benches too.
A long, exhausting day, I am wet and cold. Don´t think I´ll get the clothes dried by morning.  Three cities come together to make Pamplona, finally after what seems to be an endless day walking, make it up to the old city of Pamplona - just beautiful.  Row upon row of three or four story buildings joined together, each fighting for its own identity by their decorative fronts.  Colours and flowers abound in windows and on balconies. Visit the City Square for a beer and tapas.  Visit a church for a quick ‘thank you’ to St. James.
Trek today - 21. 5 kms = 37,966 Yazie steps.  Off to Puenta la Reina tomorrow.
Blessings from the Camino -
Yasmin
p.s. Don´t forget Raise a Reader and donations, please contact Cherie Morgan at the Penticton Herald to donate to my walk, you have only until Sept. 29th.
My personal thoughts for today - There are now pilgrims from previous days and we are forming a kind of community.  

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you both good health and lots of energy to complete your journey. It's not a race - one step at a time!
    Love
    Donna & Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the bright side ... only 37 more days to trek! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like you are having a great Camino!

    You should consider submitting your Camino blog in our competition. You could win an ipad! More here:
    http://camino.xacobeo.es/en/comunidad-peregrinos/xacoblogs-contest

    Buen Camino peregrina!
    Ivar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending good thoughts, prayers and support your way!!

    Sherry, Nelson & the girls
    xo

    ReplyDelete