Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 2!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Day 2 on the Camino de Santiago
Roncesvalles to Zubiri
Up early, feel okay. Give quick thanks to the ‘Silver Virgin’ at the church for my feet free of blisters.  Leave Roncesvalles at 8 a.m. after a quick breakfast.  The sign for the Camino de Santiago, across the roadway from St. Jean Pied de Port says it is 790 kms. to Santiago.  The guide books says 788 kms.  I’m beginning to be confused about just how far I have to walk to reach Santiago.
The trail starts off with several uphills like the previous day.  Not to have a repeat to my leg muscles, I take the trails slowly - using up time for each climb.  Lovely countryside with forests and rivers. Today seems to be the day to meet other pilgrims from different countries - 4 funny ladies from Korea, a Finnish couple who are both doctors, loads of Spaniards, some on foot some on bikes, French, Germans, two teachers from Canada - one from Peterborough and one from Quebec. For each uphill is a treacherous downhill with loose gravel making balance difficult.  Make it to Zubiri - 21.8 kms = 30,611 steps for me. Very exhausted - due to the many climbs up and down this section takes close to nine hours.  No blisters. Tomorrow off to Pamplona. 
Blessings from the Camino,
Yasmin
p.s. Remember - Raise a Reader is Sept. 29th.  Please donate!
My personal thought for today - Can’t wait for dinner, Spaniards eat supper at 9 or 9:30, so I feel like a real pilgrim, eating supper in my room - bread, cheese and salami wash down with a coke.  Off to bed early! 

No comments:

Post a Comment