Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 5...

Saturday Sept. 18, 2010
Day 5 on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela
Puenta la Reina to Estella
Dear Blog Readers,
Today is a good day!! It is not raining! But, Rick who has been my rock, has decided not to walk today - he is feeling the effects of yesterday’s climbs.  He will take the bus to Estella.
I get on the trail late, after sleeping in - set out at 9 a.m. Walk out of the City across the Puenta de Reina bridge, take lots of photos with 3 of the 4 Korean ladies.  Fourth one is up ahead somewhere. However, the ladies are into eating and stop a few steps outside the city limits for a snack.  With a full tummy from breakfast I continue without them. By the way, staying at some of the hotels is a good thing.  Not only do they offer dinner for the price of the room, breakfast is also included and most pilgrims staying at the hotel are treated to a cold breakfast, which includes ham, cheese, all manner of bread, cereal, yoghurt, fruit and cookies or small cakes.  These cello wrapped items always make their way into pilgrims backpacks for a snack later on the trail.
I trek up and down mountains today feeling a lot better.  Could it be the body is adjusting to the daily 8 hours walking?  I am developing a good pace and can keep it up unless the climb is too steep, then I slow down.  I have decided the Camino can break your spirit if you plan too much or fight the trek.
Meet some Irish women today on the Camino and walk part of the trail with them, then off they go and I continue at my pace.  The sun is shinning today, no rain, thank goodness for some mercies, as several parts of the trail could have been dangerous today. Pass lots of vineyards and plough fields.  In a small community (Cirauqui) as I eat my lunch (a ham and cheese sandwich thanks to the hotel´s breakfast table) I witness a lovely Basque ceremony for young boys making their first communion - parents, grandparents and boy wear white pants and shirts with a red Basque kerchief tied around the neck.  The boys carry a bouquet of flowers in one hand and a small baguette in the other.  The town´s church bells peal for about 5 minutes inviting the families into the church.  Absolutely lovely. Korean ladies are stopped again having lunch.  I use their cell to call Rick and he will meet me in the next village.  On the trail I meet one of the two Irish men who passed me in the forest when I had my pulled muscle.  We stop to admire a Roman ruin up on top one of the climbs.  His backpack is all wrong and I adjust it for him.  He is grateful.
Pilgrims on bikes are a bit of a problem, they speed by downhill at such past paces that you have to hope they don´t take your pack as they zoom by at breakneck speeds.  They do shout ´buen camino´ as they go by so one can´t be too mad, they are after all on the Camino too.
By the way, we are all known as ´peregrinos´ the Spanish word for pilgrims.  In many places there are pilgrims meals, which usually comes with an excellent bottle of Spanish wine.  No, I don´t drink the whole bottle myself, other pilgrims share the table and one bottle of water and one bottle of wine is placed on each table.
Meet with Rick in Lorca, feeling okay, so continue on as he returns to Estella by bus.  I make it to Estella, after 8 hours on the trail.  The Korean ladies are already there and I ask how come - ha, they took a taxi from where they were having lunch.
Trek is 24 kms - steps worked today = 31,213 - my strides are longer today due to no rain.  After 5 days on the trek, tomorrow is Sunday and I´ve earned a day off - so like a good Christian I´m ´resting´ on the sixth day - feet are sore, but body is doing well.
Tomorrow I will attend mass and give thanks for the toes, feet, legs, body and mind for staying in good heath this far.  I will also pray for all those I offered to pray for on my trek.  I´ve completed over 100 of the 890 kms. in 5 days. I am happy with what I´ve done so far!
Blessings from the Camino,
Yasmin
My personal thoughts for today - Walk into Estella today with a couple I first met in Roncesvalles, Dr. Bob and his wife, Teresa - they are both fabulous and I think they are going to become lifetime Camino friends.

4 comments:

  1. So happy to hear that you are feeling better and accomplished your goal in good order. We had a small get-together at Pinky's today. Terrance, his son and family, Linda, Martin and myself. We talked about your pilgrimage and the raise-a-reader foundation. Everyone seemed mesmerized and in awe of this journey that you have undertaken. My personal feeling is that somewhere along the way your inner light will be awaken and you will understand what is. It is difficult to explain but when the time comes you will know. Love, peace and serenity, go forth and let your inner light shine for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, you have walked for five days and so glad to hear that you ae feeling good. You are an inspiration. I look forward to reading your blog. I send you helaing energy and continue to enjoy every step. I hope you enjoyed your rest day today. I hope someone is rubbing your tired feet everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom,
    We are very proud of you. Eben has lost another tooth so he has no front teeth. We are also all suffering from back to school colds. We are going to see the Canucks tomorrow at their training camp.
    Have a good day off!
    xox
    Richa, Kris and Eben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Yasmin,
    100km's in 5 days = fantastic, be very proud! Reading your blog has brought back such wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing your journey. Enjoy every step! :)
    Buen Camino,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete