Saturday, September 11, 2010

On my way - leaving Penticton for Madrid

September 8th, 2010 - at the Pentciton Airport for 9:10 a.m. flight. 
Will travel to Vancouver, to Toronto then Madrid - however, Air traffic Controllers on 'work to rule' in Toronto - watching our flight path on my TV, I am surprised to see our path over Toronto take on the look of a French horn with our plane circling high above the clouds - worry about the connections to Madrid.
We make it in time, hurrying all the way to our gate.  I notice two women in the waiting line have back packs too, and learn they are on their way to walk a different route of the pilgrimage.  Theirs will take then along the coastline of northern Spain.
Even though I was once a flight attendant I have become a nervous traveller. Once on board, I take a little pill to help me get over my apprehension and maybe get some sleep to ward off jet lag.  It works - and I sleep.  Arrive in Madrid by 11:10 a.m. local time on the 9th. - below are wonderful views of large olive groves from my window seat.
Grab my Raise a Reader sign for the Metro ride from the Madrid airport to the hotel - shower and get a few hours sleep then out to visit the streets of Madrid in search of dinner.
Will rest in the south of Spain (Marbella) for a few days to climatize - jet lag is plaguing me - still on Penticton time and I am awake for long periods in the middle of the night.  Take the fast train (Renfe) to the south on September 10 - will return north to Pamplona on Sept.13 - then by bus to Roncesvalles to spend two nights - this is actually the first stop along the Camino, but will spend a night then travel by bus to St. Jean de Pied de Port early morning on the 14 to begin walk - I will walk the 19.5 kms across the Pyrenees back to Roncesvalles to spend the second night at the same hotel.
Wish me luck! 



Reminder - scroll down to click on to photos at Photostream.

Click on the link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53002820@N08/

2 comments:

  1. Mom,
    I went in and added the photo link. I hope that's okayl.
    xo
    Richa

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i fixed it. I had to verify the account to my phone number. it might be cause you are in Spain. I won't go into the account again. I hope that helps.
    xox
    Richa

    ReplyDelete