Monday, September 6, 2010

Count Down to Santiago

Hi All,

Getting close now - count down has begun - everything that could go wrong has not spared me but instead has paid me a visit.

Practicing my up and down hill climbs in preparation for the Pyrenees I trained a little too hard. Got blood blisters under my two big toe nails - podiatrist says I gave myself a typical tri-athlete's injury - yeah me! I was not even training for the Ironman, but got an Ironman injury.

Nails continued to plague me - and I wondered if I should get larger hiking boots to accommodate swelling of my feet - took the plunge and although I had been following all the best instructions about breaking in the boots I would eventually use - I got new (one size larger) hiking boots. Nails are still yukky - in fact ugly, but no pain, so I may still lose them on my trek, but for now they are being kind again - taking all the pounding I give them.

Next to go awry, even with my best interest in mind, I had opted for a small back pack - wanted to take no more than 10 - 15 pounds - as every book or person who has done the Camino says they took too much or they unloaded 'stuff' along the way - however, even though I had been training with weights in my back pack, this past week when I actually laid out my essentials - half didn't fit in my back pack - wow, what a wake up call so off to the store I headed.

Along the way I met with someone who had already traveled the Camino who was kind and offered to a loaned me a pack which had already conquered the Camino - now all the gear fits and it only weights 11 pounds without my water bladder filled.

Just two sleeps left and one none sleep via Air Canada and I'll be in Spain - Ole'.

Three prayers for the Camino -
1) To be safe
2) To be injury free
3) To finish that day's walk - taking one day at a time.

Hasta Luego - or until soon,

Yasmin


No comments:

Post a Comment