Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 6 - need your help!

Monday, September 20, 2010
Day 6 on the Camino de Santiago de Campostela
Estella to Los Arcos
Dear Blog Readers
After the day of rest in Estella, my feet and body feel wonderful, ready for today’s trek Los Arcos.  Leave Estella early, 7:50 a.m. so no breakfast at the restaurant at Hotel Yerri.  It is still dark, sun still out of sight in the east. It is chilly.
Travel uphill to the west out of the City with other pilgrims.  About a hundred metres up there is a Fuente del Vino (a wine fountain attached to a winery). Pilgrims line up for a free drink of wine to start their day - yuk!  There is a live webcam for you to wave at friends and family back home.  I just walk on by and by the time the sun comes up I am an hour away.  Lovely walk today along gravel trail, not too many mountains so going up and down much faster.  The scenery is beautiful, pass plough hay fields, pilgrims’ stone creations, vineyards and olive groves. Lots of butterflies and of course my newest friends, snails!
We do not find a town with a bread shop open to have breakfast - so make do with cookies, nuts, bananas and water - made it to Los Arcos by 1 p.m. I have lots of time to ask if someone has a Mac computer to help me download my photos for the blog site. Run into Eugene, a young man from New York we met the first night in Roncesvalles, who with his friend Stanley (we didn’t meet) are making a documentary on their Camino trek.  Stan has his Mac, yeah!
However, to my horror, all those internet cafes I visited asking to help, must have done some harm to my camera disk, as when I finally get to the photos, it seems I no longer can find photos of my first 4 days on the Camino.  I am hoping someone can help me discover if they are still there. At the last internet place the man moved the lock on the disk, only today did I realize he had locked the disk - I unlocked it but when I went to view the photos only the ones from yesterday morning and today are on there.  Help! Does anyone out there know how I can retrieve my lost photos?
Feeling good. Trek 23 kms today.  Steps work - only 18,459 steps, much longer strides today on the level tracks. Off to Viana tomorrow, 20kms away.
Blessings from the Camino,
Yasmin
My personal thoughts today -Needless to say I’m sick to my heart - all my photos of the first days are in limbo somewhere, my hope is the man at the last cafe, did not somehow erase them.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry about your photos Yas.. there is software available to help you retrieve them.. I'll help you when you get back.. how are your feet faring? I had blood blisters under my toenails too.. very painful until they pop!

    ..Remember to hydrate hydrate! Congrats on your success so far! Luv Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will help to know the camera make and model. I have technician friends who work for Nikon and Olympus that would know how to retrieve the photos. Just don't panic or do anything crazy on your own that might erase them for good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DON'T WORRY!!Go to any PHOTO shop in a larger Spanish town (LogroƱo)and leave your SD Card or whatsoever chip there. They have programmes to retrieve -even erased- photos from a chip.
    I erased all my St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Pamplona photos and got them all back. They'll download the retrieved photos onto a CD-ROM.
    I'm Agnes' Hansel's Camino friend, Ursula.
    BUEN CAMINO, PEREGRINA,
    and good luck with your photos!
    Ursula

    ReplyDelete