Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 4.....


Friday September 17, 2010
Day 4 on the Camino de Santiago de Compostela
Pamplona to Puenta la Reina
Dear Blog Readers,

Day begins at 8 a.m. after eating breakfast, leave the City in a light drizzle, which becomes a constant downfall as the day progresses.
In Cizur Menor witness a man slip on the wet pavement, banging his head on the way down, he is out cold and blood stains the sidewalk.  Pilgrims continue on leaving the wounded man behind.
Up a very steep climb, which passes rolling hills and more farmers’ fields and ancient abandoned structures.  Rain makes stones slippery, climbing is difficult for most times.  With the wet claylike soil sticking to my trekking boots, they get heavy and life becomes miserable.
Climbed through Cuendulain and Zariquiegui, climbing all the way to Alto de Perdon, which normally has lovely views of the surrounding areas. However today with the constant rain, we are in a heavy mist and strong winds, so cannot see anything, but it does feel like the top of the world.
Loud sounds come from the mountain top wind turbines - the Spanish have adopted wind power.  Must go down, since I climb up. Descent travels down steeply over wet slick stones.  Trek through Uterga, Muruzabal and Obanos, before reaching Puente la Reina around 3:30 p.m.
I´m convinced the Spanish Government has made a deal with all the hamlets, villages, towns and cities along the Camino because even though we go through each on the way and the kms. seem to stay the same for eons.  I am tired and exhausted, but make it with just  sore feet and aching muscles.  Trek 23 kms today.  Total to date 91.5 kms in 4 days.  Steps did not work today so just image the steps I did for today.
Heading to Estella tomorrow, 23 kms away. Once there, I will take my first day off trekking the Camino and rest.

Blessing from the Camino,
Yasmin
My personal thoughts today - Signs are very deceiving along the Camino - walk pass a sign saying 14 kms to go and after an hour trekking, a sign up ahead says 14 kms to go!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Yaz, sounds like your doing great!!! We're thinking of you everyday, YOU GO GIRL !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my friend...
    Hang in there! I have internet again, first no phone..then phone, but no internet.. they both work now, but my camera packed it in.. Go figure!
    I've been thinking, could Spanish km be like American gallons... same name different quantities?
    Thinking of you, sending healing vibes
    R/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I initiated contact with Cheri Morgan via e-mail to make a donation on your behalf but so far no reply. Could be that she is off for the weekend so hopefully I will hear back from her on Monday.

    ReplyDelete